Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dignity


"….It’s really been a pleasure to work with you. You always conduct yourself with such dignity and I’ll try to follow that example."

That was a farewell message sent by a dear friend who has just gone back to his homeland. Gosh! Me?? Dignity?? Unbelievable!!! But it really did lift my spirit to no end. This is especially so, since this came from a fellow colleague whom I am very fond of and respect very much.

Who doesn’t like compliments? Everybody basks in the glow of flattery or compliments, I am one of them.

We have worked together on several projects and faced several ‘confrontational’ incidents with the people we worked with. I hate scenes, really detest it, maybe because I have been brought up around some individuals who strive for scenes, such drama queen and king they are (till today but thanks God not as bad as before) and I always remind myself do not make any scenes as long as I could control myself. And because of that I always try to control my anger or outbursts (yeah…right!). I have slipped on a few occasions...I'm only human after all :)-

It feels good when other people notice my ‘cool and collected’ self (okay my dear friends have my permission to throw up now) and even more so, want to follow my example! Can you believe that? Can’t help it if I am full of myself eh? I AM A ROLE MODEL!

Is this what ‘dignity’ is all about? Keeping quiet when baited, remain calm, keep cool, unruffled? Maybe….

In Wikipedia, its linked with pride, self-respect, self-esteem ….

How does it differ from ego then? I guess ego is the unwillingness to back-down, not giving-in even if you know you are wrong…… but if you have dignity, you will let it go, be civil about it and acknowledge the person or situation even if he/she has acted like an idiot (I could think of more stronger words but I want to maintain my dignity). Well, this is just my opinion, others may think otherwise.

Come to think of it, I do have my ego too, but that’s more like anger, in the heat of the moment. Sometimes I want to be mean, nasty, horrid, cruel and evil but too much work and effort!
I want to hold on to the anger when my trust has been betrayed. If the person close to you didn't even have the decency to be honest with you and you have to hear this from others? I thought we were friends but obviously both of us have different idea of ‘friendship’.
Oh well, let it be……

Sometimes it is our own insecurity that made us mean and nasty to others. Is it not?

This is so debatable….a dear friend is known for his mean and nastiness but he has a very kind heart and has proven on more than one occasions to be a true friend. So, who am I to judge others?

I just want to be comfortable with my close ones, be nice to people (as long as they don’t hurt me), maintain world peace (I so love this phrase) and keep my dignity…….

1 comment:

bard said...

i think i'm mean more than you..so u no need to be worry. How mean you are....i think my darkside is much more darker! hahaha...cant let go sometimes...especially i hate someone...my head started to plan the agenda....it's so natural..i'll get rid of it one day....hopefully! haha