Sunday, September 21, 2008

My zakat fitrah

For the first time ever in my life I PAID my own zakat fitrah. What an accomplished feelings!
Yeah, I’m sure my friends are rolling their eyes when reading this…"Cici is being her melodramatic self again".
Of course! I can’t help this elations!!! I have accomplished something!!!

Zakat fitrah, for the benefit of my non-moslem friends means….

Zakat al Fitr is an obligatory charity on every Muslim at the end of the month of Ramadan. The purpose of Zakat al-Fitr is to purify the one who has fasted from any type of indecent act or speech he might have committed while fasting. It also helps the poor and the needy.
(islam.com)

…Zakat is neither a TAX or a CHARITY. It is, in fact a combination of the two - a welfare and social tax for charity, for the needy in society. It is an amount in kind or coin which every Muslim of means must distribute among the deserving, every year. (makhdoon.pacific.net.sg)

Since I started working, I never gave thoughts about it because this has been taken care of by my ever-providing parents. During each raya, my dad will ask me if I have paid my zakat and when I gave my mock-surprised response of “oh…really…do I have to?”
His standard reply will be…”hmmmm…you always forget…never mind, I have already paid for you this year…”

And I will reply sheepishly “he,he…thanks Pak”.

That script has been repeated over the years......

This year, I will surprise him with my gleeful announcement of “yes Pak, I am pleased to inform you that I have taken stock of my personal responsibility and have paid the required zakat fitrah in Hong Kong”.

I can’t wait to see his reaction.

This event (paying the zakat) took place last night during the weekly breaking fast gathering at the Consulate building in Wanchai. Every Saturday, during the month of Ramadhan, the Consulate holds a majlis berbuka puasa (breaking fast function) and terawikh prayer. This is the time to meet other Malaysian moslems in HK. I didn’t know about this last year (before I met other Malaysian moslems) but this year I get to attend and meet and socialize with others, not only the consulate staff but university students and other professionals working here.

After the terawikh prayer, we were informed that the zakat payment can be made with the attending ustaz. My friends decided to pay and I decided, why not? I should do it too and not depend on my dad to pay….and so I did….

You have to record your name and the amount you wish to pay in a form provided. Then you have to declare your ‘niat’ in Arabic (the ustaz reads out and you follow) and after that he reads a short doa’. It didn’t take long, maybe just a minute per person.

That accomplished feelings after the deed has been done is full of thankful feelings (to God) for I am able to contribute my part in the 3rd principal of Islam.

Priceless experience….. Alhamdulillah…..

No comments: